As a self-employed digital marketing professional, who works from home there are several lessons I have learned. Recent events are requiring more “at home” work as the business community work with health officials to stop the spread of Covid-19. Below are a few thoughts from my experience that help me productively work from home.
The Working from Home must-do list:
1) Dedicate a space in your home for work. A spare bedroom, basement, or unused dining rooms are perfect for working-from-home offices.
2) Outfit your workspace with the best equipment your budget will allow.
• A good desk and office chair
• Proper lighting
• Appropriate internet access and quality high-speed router.
• A computer with a webcam for teleconferencing. A good headset, be sure to find one that fits well and
will allow for all-day usage.
• Purchase a quality copier, printer, and fax – there are plenty of 3 in 1 options that are good home
3) Have the “talk” with family members. You need to establish ground rules for work hours. For the most productive office time:
• Provide options to keep your kids busy to minimize distractions
• Communicate – respectfully – about distractions. If clanking dishes and noisy household appliances are causing interruptions, work together to find compromises.
• Find a place for pets away from your workspace. Nothing ruins a conference call faster than barking dogs!
4) Dress appropriately for the day’s events. Don’t show up for teleconference meetings looking like you
just rolled out of bed. Shave, comb your hair and put on a decent shirt or blouse.
5) Dig deep and be disciplined with your work habits. Now more than ever our economic future requires
all of us to get the job done. Keep in mind if you are working with a company-provided computer your
employer can monitor your activities online, so slacking off is not an option.
Whether you choose to work from home or are doing so out of necessity, you have an opportunity to enhance your career and skill set. If you are disciplined, work hard and stay productive, more work from home options might be in your future.
If we can help or answer questions, feel free to reach out at [email protected]
Resources for working at home:
Work at Home Equipment Solutions
The Best Printers for 2020
The Best Desks for Your Home Office
The Best Home Office Chairs
Home Office Internet Routers
Home and Office Work Space Lighting
How To Choose The Right Home Office Lighting